Sunday, March 15, 2009

Moving with Music

Music in yoga class. It's a hot debate in the yoga community! Some love it and claim they can't practice without it; others cringe and claim they can't practice with it. I can go either way. I began taking yoga classes at a studio without music so I became accustomed to that, but I have always used music in my own classes. That said, seeking out suitable music and creating playlists that work can be challenging. Music can be incredibly motivating, uplifting, and energizing -- a wonderful aid to finding rhythm and movement in your own body. It can also be distracting and overwhelming if used incorrectly.

I am always seeking out new tunes (suggestions encouraged!) and recently discovered a real gem: meet MC YOGI. He's a passionate yoga practitioner with a beautiful practice, and he's also a great musician with a purpose. He uses his yoga practice and this love of hip hop to reach out to a broader audience and work for change in the world. He has a lot of great projects in the works - I highly encourage you to check out his website and/or his new CD, Elephant Power, available in full on itunes.

Check out this video he put together pre-election - it's pretty rockin'!

1 comment:

  1. Wait a sec ... you can do yoga to that? Maybe you could share some of your other favorites??

    ReplyDelete