Saturday, March 7, 2009

Be Here Now

The concept of presence resonates strongly in me these days, on and off my mat. In my yoga practice, bringing awareness to presence can often be my yoga for the day - asanas (yoga poses) and pranayama (yoga breathing) are simply the tools that help me move into the meditation which eventually allows my mind to quiet and be still. The dialogue that inevitably fires up in my mind as I move through my sequences can often take a force of nature to quiet but when accomplished brings a peace and submission that I embrace. It's the same practice in daily routines, only there are more stimuli to resist.

To be fully aware and engaged in the moment is a struggle for many of us in this over-stimulating and highly driven society. Not living in the past or looking only ahead to the future takes a conscious practice of our will and our mind working together. Instead, accepting and embracing our current situations, whatever they may be - sans doubt, criticism, or judgment - is the ultimate goal and freedom. Loving who we are (not only who we were or who we should be), enjoying where we live, who we live with or near, what we do, the way we interact with each other. It's being settled and at ease with ourselves and our lives, not wishing we were elsewhere or "doing" something else. Being satisfied with what IS as opposed to what should or could be.

This idea is not one that we often take time to stop and contemplate because we don't allow ourselves to, but what would happen if we did? It's a simple practice but is anything but simple to achieve. As with most things, it's a daily practice. There are many barriers preventing us from achieving - let alone maintaining - this frame of mind. We are constantly bombarded with ideas and notions of lifestyles, jobs, physical traits - all said to be the ideal and carrying promises of happiness - and so we strive to attain these. We believe that if we can just get that new dress, have that vacation, get that more respected job, then we'll be happier and life will be perfect. Usually, and I'm sure once you stop to think about your own experiences, this isn't the case. Like the saying goes, the grass is always greener...

It's a frame-of-mind, a way of being. All the external distractions are just that - they're distracting us from being at peace with ourselves because we're too busy thinking about what could be. I suggest we all take a little more time each day to be grateful for what we have, who we are, what we have accomplished. Try it!

Living fully in the present and being where we are with all our good intentions can only manifest compassion and happiness. These, I believe, are the true accomplishments of life.

Live and love life, ALL ways and always!

"With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. As I try to wrap my brain around your yogi mental state of presence I have an idea of something that might be worth addressing ... what about a sense of humor? What about being able to laugh at yourself, relax, stop taking everything so seriously and just let go. Does that have any place in yoga? I some how doubt it ... but I do think it's important for health and well being ... and I'm actually pretty sure that's been scientifically proven in terms of the chemicals in your brain and stress relief and all that. What do you think miss om papaya? I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing this up because it's at the foundation of this idea. Since laughter usually flows from happiness and happiness from laughter, I whole-heartedly agree with you. Learning to quiet the mind leads us towards freedom not only mentally but emotionally and physically, on all levels. It's letting go of worry, of to-do lists, of limitations, of anger or resentment...and so on. Laughter and joy come when we let go of these mental tensions, so YES YES YES, a sense of humor!
    One of my favorite teachers said, "Take your practice seriously, but yourself lightly."

    ReplyDelete