Thursday, March 12, 2009

Food

Food sustains us, nurtures us, heals us, and brings us together. It is basic and at the same time can be very complex - I like to keep it simple, nothing too fancy, just fresh, clean, and healthy. Choosing which foods we consume can often be a tricky process but simple and intuitive is a good place to begin. We're bombarded with mixed messages and different theories about food - when, how, and what to eat - so it's no surprise that we face a constant process of exploration, trial, and sometimes error.

The bottom line: great meals and great health start with wholesome, organic, vibrant food. It's hard to dispute that.

Learning what works best for us and our bodies is a life-long journey we embark on when we decide to bring awareness to our health. Listening and adjusting our eating routines when needed is where trial and error comes in - this process should be embraced, not avoided. Food should be enjoyed and acknowledged; it should be chosen, prepared, and consumed with love. Explore, try new foods, and commit to eating with full awareness. Your body is your guide and it will give you clear signals if you allow yourself to tune in.

My own process of finding which foods serve me best is constantly evolving. I have been gluten-free and very low dairy dairy for the past 5 years, which has saved my digestion and spirit alike. I was suffering from severe Celiac-related ailments (weight loss, mood swings, depression, lethargy) but the shift after I changed my diet was profound. This began my curiosity with food and nutrition. I saw the healing process in my own body and wanted to learn more.

For the most part I consume a plant-based diet which I supplement with whole grains (quinoa and brown rice are my faves), lots of fresh and sometimes frozen fruit (smoothies!), lean proteins - I firmly believe we should only support organic, free- range animal products and highly encourage you to read Fast Food Nation before eating another hamburger - plenty of legumes, seeds and nuts, and the occasional treat. I have a passion for baking so you can often find me in the kitchen experimenting with new GF recipes for tasty desserts. This brings me to sugar - aka "white death" - which I try to avoid, opting instead to use agave which is a fabulous alternative.

There is so much information out there about food that it really is overwhelming. If you allow yourself to get swept up into the latest fads it can be confusing, expensive, and misleading. Instead, resolve to be informed, not influenced. Decide to be your own guide using all the useful tips and facts you learn to approach your own decisions with an educated mind, but letting your body be your real teacher.

I will quote Micheal Pollan here, though, because I think he makes a great point with his approach: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

What nourishes you?

No comments:

Post a Comment